Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another discovery

Wow, I've been going discovery after discovery these past weeks. All because of the Vivid Sydney Festival.

This time, it's something quite different as well. It's a band of throat singers called Chirgilchin. These guys come from the very heart of Central Asia, at the very southernmost tip of Russia near Mongolia. The guys themselves don't look Russian at all, but a bit Mongol I suppose. Their music is very entrancing because it is just something that I've never heard before in my life. They use their throats to take advantage of resonant effects of the passing air when they exhale. In other more descriptive words, they practically whistle with their throats.

Now, it's not really your normal kind of whistling. But rather of a very bizarre kind. Instead of air resonating from within the mouth, like normal whistling, throat singing uses the entire air tract from the mouth, larynx and voice box to resonate air. Just listen to it:



I just find it really interesting how charmingly happy those guys are with their music, even if it sounds so weird.

I really thank Vivid Sydney for introducing me to this kind of stuff. Every month I realize how much music I really want to buy, and I sadly look at myself in my present economic situation. Go P2P for the WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment