Friday, December 4, 2009

Google Maps Street View now in Mexico

First off, I’d just like to say: SWEET!

At first I thought it would be practically impossible that Mexico, a third world country next to the US, would be featured in Google Maps' Street View feature. When I checked it out, I was flabbergasted. Outstanding. Cities like the monstrous Mexico City, Puebla, Guadalajara, Cancún, Puerto Vallarta and Monterrey are included, and others are soon to follow. The quality of the pictures is crisp clear and, as any other virtual globetrotter, I dived in to search for interesting things that were taken by the Google Maps cars that ran through those cities.

I know Mexico City fairly, I know most of the main vehicular arteries that connect the city and most of its landmarks. And I thought that perhaps the poorest or more criminal-prone regions of the city would feature the most interesting “happenings”. And as such I explored. Here’s what I found.gstmx

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the very end of a street in a northern district of the city I found this water-carrying truck. Taking a closer looks, it seems that Google’s face-blurring mechanism failed right there. I don’t remember seeing a person’s face so close in Street View. I wonder if he knows that he’s on the internets.

gstmx9This guy should know better that he must not try to enter wormholes without the proper equipment, let alone with a modified bicycle like that one. And once again, his face is not blurred. What’s going on Google?

 gstmx8

Oh GAWD. Somebody’s going to have to pick up all this mess. Either a garbage truck exploded or the ground broke up, overflowing with rubbish. I don’t know. All I know is that I took this around the Tepito area, Mexico City’s greatest and most infamous open-air black-market complexes. Not surprisingly, there are very few shots of the stalls that normally cover the entire area. This is because almost all of the shots there were taken at the crack of dawn. Smart thinking on behalf of Google.

gstmx4

This is just a little  gem that I found, the Callejón de los Patos, or Duck Alley. This is in an impoverished area, not even the road is paved. In any case, it holds the essence of the harsh reality a lot of Mexicans have to face everyday.

gstmx5

If I lived in Mexico City, and if my house was ever broken into, I would always go to a place like this to buy the stuff that was stolen from me back. This is what house-owners have to face in Mexico City. Not kidding. My dad’s car’s rims were stolen one day, so he went to a nearby car repair shop to locate them and buy them back.

gstmx3

Almost all along this street, this particular area of the photographs has its colors messed up. The trees look purple!! And everything else is in black and white (almost), as if we were looking back into the past or something like that (the world before color tv was invented was actually in black and white, yeah haha).

gstmx7

And now for something different. I found this bizarre relic among the urban jungle. I wonder what it represents. A saint? A guard? An eavesdropper?

With Google Maps Street View now available in this country, there are many hopes that silly, weird or unusual things may be found in the future. And I hope I get to have my hometown featured. That would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment