Thursday, October 15, 2009

New camera... and new musical discovery


Bueno?


Hola.
It's been quite a while.

Ciertamente. Algo nuevo que contarnos?

Sure. I got a new camera. My dad's leaving behind his camera collection, which is mostly composed of film SLR's and some lenses. Some of them are from the 90's, others from the early 80's. And there is this other camera he bought at a garage sell, a Leica IIIc camera from the early WW2 years. How incredible!!

IMG_9416
IMG_9403

I was actually surprised to see it, because I know how rare those things are nowadays, even though Leica still produces digital cameras with a similar body build. They are however not the same thing. Cameras back then were fully manual and involved a different method when taking photographs.

IMG_9412
IMG_9407

About that, I have absolutely no idea where on the camera I can tell whether my aperture-shutter settings are correct. Plus, loading the film is like hell, it's really hard ><

But I have yet to take pictures with it, it's going to be quite a unique experience. Just recently I have taken film photography up once again, I kind of find sending films to develop and seeing their outcomes a quite nostalgic thing to do. Quite nice. I have tried with disposable cameras, which are quite fun to use, but people make strange looks at you, going "what the f@ck? is that a camera? how poor are you?" and I'm like "no, it's a disposable camera and no i'm not poor, it's a photography project", "ah, a project, i see" and they quiet down and look away, as if nothing had happened. No, that really doesn't happen, I just get strange looks when people hear the camera ticking as I slide the film everytime I take a picture.

Some examples of my disposable camera shots...
Jordan
Coming out of Martin Place
Quad


And just recently, I came across this really unique music act based in Seattle WA called The Sight Below. TSB's main focus is on ambient music, more specifically shoegaze (a particular way of making music through the manipulation of sounds from an electric guitar).

There are quite a lot of bands like that, but TSB is different. Say, a song of his may start with slow streams of guitar-made sounds that extend into space, they may have a particular melody or be composed of drones or noises. But then, gradually, a techno beat ascends from the shoegaze haze, sometimes accompanied by a minor percussion or a sound effect. The techno beat keeps the whole songs in one piece, rather than just being mindless repetitions of the same tune with minimalistic tendencies. The songs then seem to have a trance-like taste, say they may have a similar effect as very good soulful trance songs have; of course without the same rush and blast. TSB's work is quite reminiscent of other similar shoegaze movements, although I am yet to confirm that as I keep discovering the underground techno-ambient scene.

Check The Sight Below at his Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/thesightbelow or at Ghostly International Label:http://ghostly.com/artists/the-sight-below. His first album, a digital release, is free so have a taste of his work. Additionally, buy some of his albums, they are quite unique works of music.

As an example of one of TSB's songs, which is one of my faves, here is a video:

No comments:

Post a Comment