Monday, January 11, 2010

The Olgas

This continues from the previous post...
Olgas from the west

The Olgas is another series of rock formations west from Uluru/Ayers Rock.
I believe that they belonged to the mountain range Uluru originated from. They are more varied than that famous piece of rock, and have more walking trails. But due to the high temperature conditions I had to endure, I could only look at them from afar and visit just one of the trails. It was just unbearable, at 42°C and with billions of flies swarming around us. Why on Earth do people live there for?! D:
Anyway, here are the pictures.

The mothership has landed
The Olgas 3

As we progressed through the trail, I looked back to check my surroundings.
Let me tell you something, it didn't look like Earth at all. Everything was dead, it was just a bunch of pinkish rocks and slopes, boiling under the Southern Sun. No kidding, it looked like Mars, but Mars closer to the Sun. I remember just thinking: "... Holy sh*t guys, are we in Mars?" It was weird.
Where are we? Mars?
We are so tiny
IMG_1398
IMG_1431
IMG_1450

The biggest concern that day was not about the flies, or the Sun, or dehydration. It was my camera. It was incredibly hot, I was just waiting for it just stop working under these extreme conditions. I was covering it from the Sun as much as possible. I'm amazed by how well that camera behaved the whole trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment