Wednesday, January 20, 2010




Sydney is now due for some major changes for what city-planning for a "sustainable" future is concerned (according to what I see from Sydney's 2030 project). Bicycles have been around forever, yet they are used very little here in Australia. It's really sad that a metropolis like Sydney performs low in comparison to other European cities of the same dimensions. Of course, it all comes down to how the city was planned. But drivers of course are part of the blame for why bicycles are looked down at as being a risk. Drivers are very rude towards cyclists. Cars tend to be very fast for us bike riders. Additionally, most cyclists don't have the ability or technology to be able to look behind them when in motion without increasing the risks of an accident. And as a cyclist myself I wouldn't cycle as a commuting alternative if I had to go to a high-traffic area, such as the city. Cars scare me. Buses and trucks are my worst nightmare. Oh, plus high-speed bogans.

Nevertheless, the City of Sydney is now opening up many bicycle lanes that will eventually give the road back to cyclists. I am glad that these changes are being done, but we still have to encourage more people to use bikes so as to make this change happen sooner, better and with greater attention. I commute to work, and it feels good to know that I didn't have to spend on petrol for that journey. I love my bike, I just wish I could get a basket attached to the back. That would be awesome. Oh and some mudguards too.

'Til later.

No comments:

Post a Comment