Monday, March 8, 2010

New World @ UNSW

IMG_1543
Finally!!!
Ok, tl&dr at the bottom.

This project that took about 4 years of planning and waiting has finally come to its end!

Four years ago I was walking along Circular Quay in Sydney, and saw an advertisement from the University of New South Wales. This add was particularly about an open day. I, in my still youthful and fresh mind, back when I was 16 years old (really? I feel so old now...) decided to check it out. I found UNSW a really incredible university, just ... wow. The buildings were astonishing, and every where I went there was always some interesting activity on. I just loved it from the first time I saw it.

But before moving on, I'd like to put that moment in context with my personal world.

I was just finishing year 11 and was beginning to think ahead, trying to see far beyond the little world I lived in back home in Mexico. I was always the top of my class, and had started to feel limited by how everyone else dragged me from pushing the classes forward, learning new stuff, etc. The education system over there is not flexible enough to let and encourage the better students to really excel further than every one else.

So I just started to think about what university I would go to:

If I stay and start uni here I'm not going anywhere. My life would just be sh#t. Even if I worked overseas, all my professional titles would be considered useless.

I can go to the States and study over there. No big deal, no problem. I'd do just fine and have a good time + life. Just that maths is really bad over in Mexico, so I would be kind of disadvantaged.

I can go to Australia. Australia... kangaroos, koalas. Not much really?


I knew enough about the US, but Australia seemed quite exotic to me at that time. I decided to take on the challenge and the adventure of going to a country where people drive on the wrong side of the road and speak weirdly.

Although it was tough adjusting to this country, I survived and prevailed. I'd be damned, I did much better than anyone would have thought. My life here has been awesome. And I've met the most beautiful and friendliest of people ever.

Those dark years of being educationally limited are gone.
Those dark years of waiting for becoming an Australian are history.
Those dark years of hoping to get into university in Australia, a dream that I thought to be far too complicated to achieve and unrealistic according to the education I have received in my life..

gone they are as well.

I'm in university!!! FINALLY!!
I can now call myself a university student! This, this is just...
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!


---tl&dr---
I am a university student.
I am overloaded with happiness. :D
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment